This one story Landmarked Gabled-Ell home is on a corner lot with a dominant gable facing each street. The projecting L-shaped cross-gables are a distinguishing feature and indicate the footprint of the original building. The wrap-around screened porch is not original (circa 1900) and encloses the wood panel front door. The house is built on a foundation of stone. All the windows are original and are wood and double hung. Interior features include the original fireplace with decorative tile. The flooring and doors are also original.
James W. and Hattie L. Chilvers built this home in 1893. James was a building contractor and built several homes throughout Downers Grove. He joined the first ever volunteer fire department in 1894 and was sworn in as a Village Trustee in 1895. The Chilvers sold the home to C. Arthur Brown in 1898.
For more information, see the Village of Downers Grove Landmarking Resolution for this house.