This house is Tri-Gable Ell and still retains its original wood siding, wood soffits, windows, and doors. The Tri-Gable Ell was a vernacular building form common during the 1870s through the 1920s. Features typically include an “L” shaped plan and a front and side gable (or cross gable).
Darius Crescy was born in Vermont in 1833, settled in Downers Grove in 1854, married May K. Fox in 1856, and was eventually one of the owners of Thatcher & Crescy General Store. Crescy was a Village of Downers Grove trustee from 1892-1895, and additionally served as town clerk, was a member of the Finance Committee, and was Chairman of the Water Works Committee the year the system was installed. Crescy also built the Crescy Auditorium in 1890. The Auditorium was located on the northwest corner of Main and Grove Streets. It was eventually torn down sometime after 1912 and replaced with the current brick building occupied by Emmett’s.