In 1856, Samuel Curtiss donated part of his sheep pasture for use as a cemetery. He was later paid $15 for the land, money from individuals who formed a cemetery association in 1864. Nearly 100 members of Downers Grove’s early families, including Isrel Blackburn, a freedman, and members of the Blanchard, Curtiss and Wells families. The cemetery was used until 1939 when Emma Foster Miller was the last to be interred. It is one of the few American cemeteries located in a main business district.
For more information, see the Village of Downers Grove Landmarking Resolution for this property.