On August 5, 1851, a group of 17 Baptists met in a school house on the corner of Maple Avenue and Dunham Road to organize the Baptist congregation. Services were held in the schoolhouse by Rev. G.G. Holt until the fall of 1853 when the church building was completed at a cost of $1200 on land donated by Samuel Curtiss. On May 22, 1871, the church was destroyed by fire. By March 24, 1872, less than a year later, the new church had been built and was dedicated free of debt.