This landmarked house represents the distinguishing characteristics of a bungalow. The term “bungalow” is derived from the Hindi word “bangle” meaning a low house with a porch. Bungalows were built throughout the United States from 1890 to 1930 and are one of the dominant building forms found in Downers Grove. A bungalow can be defined as a one to one-and-a-half story house with a low-pitched gable or hip roof and wide eaves.
5325 Fairmount Avenue is a one-story bungalow and includes a low-pitched jerkinhead (clipped) gable roof with wide eaves. Many of the original architectural features of the home are still present; including lead glass windows, built-ins, doors and hardware. The eastern-most portion of the home is an addition that was constructed in 1956.
Frank Aldrich Rogers Jr. was a carpenter and most likely constructed the home in 1926. It appears that he never lived in the home but instead used it as a rental property. The 1930 census records indicate that Raymond and Estelle Schultz were renting the home at that time. Rogers sold the home in 1937.
For more information, see the Village of Downers Grove Landmarking Resolution for this house.
Research by Amy Gassen.