The Fayette McAllister House is classified as a bungalow. It exhibits the typical features which include a 1 to 1½ story home with a low-pitched roof, often with broad eaves. The entry typically opens directly into the living room, and the interior usually has an open floor plan which maximizes the efficiency and flow from room to room. Often there is a large front porch that creates an outdoor living space. This home has all of these features.
This home was originally built by Fayette & Clara McAllister circa 1915. Mr. McAllister is believed to have worked at the Farmer’s & Merchant’s Bank in downtown Downers Grove. The McAllister’s sold the home in 1920 to the Clark’s. The Clark’s sold the home in 1923 to Charles & Marie Baker.
Charles Baker was born in Glen Ellyn and raised in Downers Grove. He became a businessman in Downers Grove with a couple of prosperous businesses he owned and ran. Mr. Baker’s businesses were in 1909 he opened Baker’s Livery & Boarding Stable. Circa 1917, the company’s name changed to Baker’s Motor Express. In 1925 he started Baker’s Dairy. Circa 1941 Cloverleaf Dairy bought Baker’s Dairy. He lived in Downers Grove for almost his entire life. Sadly, Charles Baker’s 1st wife Marie & her daughter, were killed in a car accident in 1933 during the time they lived in this house. Charles sold this home to the next family in 1936. Charles Baker’s grandfather lived in the house across the street from this home and Charles spent some of his youth living on Carpenter St. also.
Researched by Chuck Holtzen.