Home to schools for over 100 years, the first schoolhouse on this site was a two-room brick building erected in 1867. A ten-year course of instruction was adopted in 1876, two rooms added in 1877 and the first class of five graduated in 1879. The current, north section of the building was built in 1900 in front of the original school, which was razed in 1913. A high school built on the property in 1913 was used until Community High School was built in 1928. Thousands of children received a quality education here. Lincoln School closed its doors in 1974 and is in adaptive reuse as Lincoln Center, a Park District facility.